Adapted from AllRecipes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- approximately 14 ounces chopped green chili peppers (I bought two 7oz cans; three 4oz cans would be okay too)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (28-32 ounces works great); you can add more broth if you like your soup thinner
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can of corn, drained
- black pepper, to taste
- lime slices
- avocado slices
- shredded cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
1) Combine the oil, red pepper, onion, garlic, and cumin in a large pot over medium heat. Stir for approximately five minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
2) Add the remaining soup ingredients to the pot, except for the corn (green chili peppers, broth, tomatoes, beans, and black pepper). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for approximately 20-25 minutes.
3) Add the corn and simmer for five more minutes.
4) Serve with cilantro, avocado, cheese, and tortilla chips. Squeeze a small wedge of lime over each bowl.