- Three 15oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 1 celery rib, chopped into small pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
1) Puree 1/2 of the beans in a food processor, adding water (1 tablespoon at a time) if necessary, until the beans are a smooth puree.
2) In a large pot, combine the oil, onion, carrot, and celery. Stir until the veggies are coated in the oil. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until they are soft, but not mushy.
4) Add the tomatoes, garlic, and thyme. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
5) Pour in the vegetable broth, followed by the beans and the bean puree. When you add the beans, the soup will turn bright white–which was a bit startling to me!–but it goes away. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6) Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.