I’ve only ever had cayenne cheddar bread at a restaurant called The Friendly Toast. I wanted to make my own since it is so, so delicious. I made a simple white bread and added cayenne and cheddar.
>>Yields two loaves
- 2 cups warm water
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups bread flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
1) Add all the ingredients together in a food processor. (You could do this by hand.) Mix (or knead) until the dough is smooth and elastic.
2) In a greased bowl, leave the dough to rise until it is doubled in size, or about one hour. Cover the bowl with a slightly damp dish cloth so the dough doesn’t dry out.
3) Knead the dough briefly for a couple of minutes.
4) Split the dough in half, and put into to two 9×5 greased loaf pans. Let it rise until the dough has risen one inch above the pans. (It should only take around 30 minutes, but it took almost two hours for my dough to rise! I think it’s because my kitchen is a bit chilly and dough rises a lot faster when it’s warm.)
5) Preheat oven to 350°F.
6) Bake for approximately 30 minutes.