I had some caramelized onions leftover from the sweet potato burgers I made the other day. I’ve been itching to make some grilled cheese sandwiches. The apple was nice and tart, which balanced out the sweetness of the onions. And, well, do I need to tell you how delicious brie is? Especially when it’s melty and gooey? (Don’t even get me started on baked brie…)
- a few chunks of brie
- apple slices
- two slices of good bread (I used whole wheat sourdough from the bakery)
- couple slices of butter
- a small handful of red onion slices
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Put the red onion in a saucepan with the brown sugar and the balsamic vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the onion is soft. Add more brown sugar and vinegar to taste, depending on how much onion you’ve used.
- Spread butter on one side of your slices of bread. Place the first slice in the saucepan, with the butter side down. Put the slices of brie on top, followed by the apple slices and caramelized onions. Add the second piece of bread, butter side up.
- Place a lid over the saucepan and let it cook for a minute or two. The lid helps the cheese get all melty and delicious.
- Check to see if the bottom is lightly brown. If it is, flip the sandwich over and cook on the other side, putting the lid back over the saucepan.