David loves to eat a bowl of granola with fruit and yogurt for breakfast. Store bought granola is pretty expensive, and often comes loaded with sugar. I like to make a big batch by doubling the recipe. I’m storing this batch in former pickle jars!
Makes ~3 1/2 cups
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or a different dried fruit, or a mix)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave nectar, or honey)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/8 cup shelled sunflower seeds (optional)
Preheat oven to 300°F
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except for the dried fruit. Stir until everything is well coated in the maple syrup.
- Spread the granola out evenly onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then toss the granola so it cooks evenly. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Stir in the dried fruit.
- Let the granola cool completely before storing it.