Makes 12 small burgers, or 6 large burgers
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa (about 3/4 cup cooked)
- small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped rosemary, plus extra to garnish
- pepper, to taste
- oil, butter, or cooking spray
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- lettuce, avocado, mustard, etc.!
- buns (totally optional…I ate a leftover burger over a big bowl of salad!)
Preheat oven to 400°F
Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers
- Bake the sweet potatoes. Wash them, prick them six or seven times with a fork, and wrap in tinfoil. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until soft.
- While the potatoes are baking, make your quinoa according to the instructions on the bag.
- When they are cool enough to touch, scoop the insides of the potatoes into a bowl. Discard the skins. Mash the potatoes with a fork until soft.
- Stir the potatoes, quinoa, onion, paprika, and rosemary together. Add pepper to taste.
- Form patties with your hands. I found it easiest to form a ball (I made them racquetball size, but would them a little bigger and thicker next time), then flatten it between my palms.
- Cook in a greased saucepan over medium high heat. It will take a good 3-4 minutes per side to cook thoroughly. They are fragile, so flip gently!
- Serve on a bun, or eat over a salad with the caramelized onions (recipe below).
This is super easy!
- Slice the onion.
- Place the onion, along with the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar, in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until the onion is soft. If your onion is really large, add more vinegar and/or brown sugar, to taste.