- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 large yellow squash, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup pasta, uncooked (I use small shell)
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach
1. Combine the olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and tomato paste in a large pot over medium heat. Stir frequently, until the veggies have softened (~5 minutes).
2. Pour in the diced tomatoes along with their liquid, the broth, and water.
3. Add the yellow squash and zucchini, then add the spices: oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, and some black pepper.
5. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and add the pasta, beans, and spinach. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and serve.