I love coffee, especially with a piece (or three) of biscotti! I was always intimidated by the idea of making it myself (you have to put it in the oven twice?!), but you’ll be amazed by how easy it is.
Yields ~4 dozen
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for dusting
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted whole almonds
- 3/4 cup crystallized ginger, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
>>Preheat oven to 350°F
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder.
- Add the eggs, applesauce, and almond extract and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the almonds, ginger, and cranberries.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth. It may be dry and crumbly at first, but should stick together as you knead. If it’s too moist, add more flour.
- Divide the dough in half, and shape into two logs that are approximately 1” high, 2” wide, and 12-14” long.
- Put the logs on a parchment-lined baking sheet and dust the tops with the remaining sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the logs are lightly browned and beginning to crack on top.
- Remove from oven and allow the logs to cool, then slice the logs into 1/4” thick pieces. A serrated knife works great!
- Lay the slices on parchment-lined baking sheets and return to the oven for around 25 minutes, flipping the biscotti over halfway through. They should dry out completely, becoming crisp and light brown. Cool completely on wire racks before eating.
- Make some coffee, grab the newspaper, and enjoy!