From Cookie + Kate
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (apple cider or white)
1. In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, cinnamon. Stir them together.
2. In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat. You want it to be hot enough that if you sprinkle the flour mixture on top, it sizzles.
3. Once the oil is hot enough, add the flour and spices. Whisk constantly for about a minute, then add the tomato paste, whisking until well combined. Next, add the veggie broth.
4. Turn the heat up to medium high and simmer for 5-7 minutes. You’ll want to continue whisking frequently to avoid getting clumps. The sauce should thicken–but it will thicken even more once it cools down!
5. Remove from heat and add the vinegar. Now it’s time for some enchiladas!