Adapted from Cookie + Kate
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 large , sliced
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 16oz jar salsa
- 9-10 corn tortillas, cut in half
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 big handfuls spinach
- 2 cups shredded cheese (sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack work great)
Preheat oven to 400°F
1. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
2. Spread the veggies and sweet potatoes between the two sheets, trying to keep it to a single layer. Toss the contents of each baking sheet in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon cumin. Bake for 15 minutes, until the veggies are softened.
3. Take the veggies out of the oven and reduce the heat to 350°F.
4. To assemble the casserole, spread ~1/2 cup salsa on the bottom of a 9″ square pan.
5. Add a layer of the halved tortillas on top, arranging so they cover as much surface area as possible.
3. Add a layer of beans, a layer of vegetables, a layer of spinach, a layer of cheese. Don’t worry too much about how much you’re using of each–just spread them out so they cover the surface area.
4. Add another layer of tortillas and salsa, then repeat step #3.
5. Depending on how much room you have (and how many ingredients you have left), you can keep going or add your final layer: tortillas, salsa, vegetables, cheese.
6. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, bake for 10 more minutes.
7. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then dig in!