Adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Rice, to serve
1. In a large pot, cook the carrot and onion in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, ginger, and spices. Stir until well combined.
3. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Add the chickpeas, coconut milk, and peas. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Serve with rice.
Don’t get me wrong, I am not ditching pasta. That will never, ever happen. But oh my goodness, this is good. There’s a little kick to it, thanks to the red chili pepper flakes. Aside from the time it takes to bake the spaghetti squash in the oven (which can be done ahead of time!), this is fast and easy to make.
- 2 cups spaghetti squash (half of a large spaghetti squash)
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 jar marinara sauce (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- grated parmesan, to serve (leave off for a vegan meal)
Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place the squash, uncut, on a baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes. Take out of the oven, let cool for half an hour.
- Cut the squash in half. For this recipe, you’ll only need half (or you can double the recipe). Remove the seeds with a spoon or your fingers. Using a fork, scrape the sides of the squash, scooping out the “spaghetti.”
- In a large pot, toss the garlic, onion, carrot, and celery in the oil. Cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add the peas, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, and spaghetti squash. Stir until well combined.
- Add the marinara sauce and spices. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Serve with grated parmesan.