I based this off of four or five different recipes, plus what ingredients we had in the kitchen. It’s not a hearty, filling soup, but very flavorful! It’s also really quick and easy to make.
>>Serves three. Double (or triple!) for larger crowds, or if you’d like leftovers.
- 1 onion, cut into bite size slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14oz package of firm or extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 14oz can of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (more if you like it spicy! you could put in red pepper flakes or Thai red curry paste, to taste, instead)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice, plus extra to serve
- cilantro to garnish
- also consider adding: ginger, garlic, basil, lemongrass, beansprouts… !
1) In a medium size pot heat the oil. Add the red pepper and onion, stirring until they are coated. If needed, add another tablespoon of oil. Cook until the veggies are soft, around 3-5 minutes.
2) Add the remaining ingredients except for the cilantro and lime juice (tofu, veggie broth, coconut milk, chili sauce, brown sugar, and peanut butter).
3) Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat. Stir until the peanut butter has dissolved. Simmer for eight minutes.
4) Add the lime juice and simmer for two more minutes.
5) Serve with cilantro, a slice of lime, and extra chili sauce, if desired.