Pho, if you aren’t familiar, is a Vietnamese soup that consists of broth + rice noodles + vegetables (traditionally meat) + lots of toppings. I used a few different recipes for inspiration (here and here and here), but I was totally unwilling to use three different pots–one for the noodles, one for the broth, and one for the veggies. (I couldn’t even think about washing that many dishes.) So, here I present to you, one pot vegetarian pho!
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2″ fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 8 cups broth (I used 4 cups vegetable broth, 4 cups miso ginger broth)
- 1 package extra firm tofu, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 14oz package rice noodles
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 3-5 jalapeno peppers, sliced (I used red, but green are great too)
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1-2 limes, cut into wedges
- In a pot over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic until the onion is slightly softened. Stir frequently.
- Add the cloves, coriander, cumin, cinnamon stick, soy sauce, and ginger. Stir until the onion and garlic are well-coated.
- Add the broth and carrots, then bring to a boil.
- When it reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add the broccoli, tofu, and rice noodles. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until the noodles are soft.
- Serve with lots of toppings!
I based this off of four or five different recipes, plus what ingredients we had in the kitchen. It’s not a hearty, filling soup, but very flavorful! It’s also really quick and easy to make.
>>Serves three. Double (or triple!) for larger crowds, or if you’d like leftovers.
- 1 onion, cut into bite size slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14oz package of firm or extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 14oz can of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (more if you like it spicy! you could put in red pepper flakes or Thai red curry paste, to taste, instead)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice, plus extra to serve
- cilantro to garnish
- also consider adding: ginger, garlic, basil, lemongrass, beansprouts… !
1) In a medium size pot heat the oil. Add the red pepper and onion, stirring until they are coated. If needed, add another tablespoon of oil. Cook until the veggies are soft, around 3-5 minutes.
2) Add the remaining ingredients except for the cilantro and lime juice (tofu, veggie broth, coconut milk, chili sauce, brown sugar, and peanut butter).
3) Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat. Stir until the peanut butter has dissolved. Simmer for eight minutes.
4) Add the lime juice and simmer for two more minutes.
5) Serve with cilantro, a slice of lime, and extra chili sauce, if desired.